Wednesday 30 January 2013

Spring of death : Blog # 79

Spring of death


       After a long day at work, I was returning home. As soon as I got down from the bus, I noticed flowers on the road. It did not bring any cheer to me for they were not the fall outs from a vibrant season of spring. Those petals were the harbingers of death. Apparently, flowers are strewn around here in Tamil Nadu as the procession carrying the deceased proceeds to the final resting place.


            Death has always fascinated me. In spite of all the advancements mankind has made, the end of our lives still remains a mystery. We know all about the origin but the destination remains uncertain!


            The interesting thing about death is that in spite of being aware of our mortality, we think we are here to stay! However young or old one is, we do not anticipate our lives to come to an end anytime soon.


At the same time, the unpredictability of it leaves people stunned. The mystery about it adds to it aura. We find the abruptness of it hard to accept.


 I remember a nightmare about death I had a few years before. It had such a profound impact that I still remember the abyss of fear it took me to.  In that nightmare, I knew when I was going to die. Normally, words don’t fail me. But when I try to describe the helplessness I felt then, I am unable to put it in words. The loneliness that surrounded me was so intense and the lack of hope, so severe!


Death is a journey that no one would want to accompany you with. It is a lone path which all of us have to traverse, one day or the other!
                                                                       
                                                                                                                   Arun Babu

No comments:

Post a Comment