Sunday 9 November 2014

When I woke up a tad bit too early… : Blog # 197

When I woke up a tad bit too early…


I woke up listening to my Grand father’s slippers tapping against the floor. He started wearing to ward off pain in the joints which he thought is due to the cold floor. I could hear ‘Rangoli’ blaring on the TV which meant it is a Sunday. I woke up from the bed and saw the Mosaic flooring of my house and felt something was different. My mother asked me to brush and come for the tea. Near the wash basin, was kept the toothbrush and Cibaca toothpaste. I went downstairs and took up the day’s Newspaper. There wasn’t anything which interested me.


We all had breakfast together and dad told that we will go for a movie in the afternoon. After breakfast, we all sat together and watched ‘Sri Krishna’. When the last advertisement post the program was running on the TV, the power went off. We knew it won’t be back for at least an hour. My sister and I took our cycles and went over to our friends’ places. My friend Ravi’s father had bought a Maruti 800. What a car! It did not even make a noise when it moved. The interiors looked very modern and plush. Both of us reached home for lunch. After lunch, we went to the theatre in a bus. There was a long queue outside the theatre but thankfully, the ladies’ queue was smaller.  We got the tickets and went inside the theatre. We got some chips and a Campa cola. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge was becoming a huge hit with relatively new stars, Shahrukh Khan and Kajol. After the movie, we went for a walk on the marine drive. It was a pleasant evening. The road was full of new Maruti cars. The Premier Padminis and the Ambassadors stood the ground even though they were fighting a losing battle as my father often said.

We were home by 6 o clock just in time to catch ‘The Jungle book’. It has always been a mixed feeling to watch this show for it meant that Sunday is coming to an end. Grandfather sat down to watch the 7pm news and we went to check if there is any pending home work. Thankfully, there were none. Turning my Crompton greaves fan to full speed, I went to bed by 9 after dinner.


I woke up with a start. I checked if my cell phone was near my pillow. I swiftly checked if it was connected to net and if I had any notifications on Facebook and whatsapp. The air conditioner was working and the flooring was familiar grey marble. I ran down and asked my mother where the newspaper was. It was the 10th day of November of 2014.I let out a sigh of relief. Father called out to me to book movie tickets for an afternoon show and to connect the laptop so that he could skype with my sister. Before I could think about what had just happened, my whatsapp pinged continually for my attention.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Arun,
    I think of following reasons for the whole episode.
    1. You might have been under a strong hang over . :-)
    2. You might have been in a time machine.
    3. You might have been nursing some unfulfilled fantasies about a Bombay childhood.
    Anyway a smooth flowing writing. At some stage, I thought of an advt by Congress Party during the run up to Lok Sabha elections showing a person wondering about the missing fly over, ATM etc..Forget it .. that was politics. This is human mind. Keep it up as you are fast approaching bi-century!!!
    Best wishes,
    NANDAKUMAR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he...the closest reason would be 3- about having a Bombay childhood :)..and thank you for the wishes,uncle :) ...

      Delete
  2. Very nice. When you wrote about Padmini and maruti 800,it was really nostalgic. Howthings have changed now.But we are still living our life to its full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anusia. Glad that you liked it :)

      Delete