Monday 21 October 2013

Characters that are Special : Blog # 146

Characters that are Special


        I wonder if there has ever been a time where in punctuation has found more importance in languages than now. So much so that we sum up a whole sentence with a combination of colons, parenthesis and special characters.

A blog on Special Characters, A blog on Punctutations            Consider this. You need to tell your friend something but would like to convey an exact opposite meaning. All you need to do is put a semicolon and a parenthesis towards the end - I love waking up early in the morning ;).

            Expressing wonder by saying “I am surprised” or “I am amazed” is so a thing of past. Today, we say it using exclamation marks. The most common usage is 3 in a row – I am getting a salary hike!!!It can be used to express shock as well – I am not getting a salary hike!!!The usage of question marks also has the same impact - You have three facebook accounts???

            Sarcasm has always been elusive to many people. Understanding sarcasm itself needs considerable social skills. Expressing it in writing has always been a challenge. And here comes the colons and commas to the rescue – Hey thank you for remembering my birthday!!! J. That combination of exclamations, colon and parenthesis does the trick.

            Now coming to the best usage of all. For those who do not want to dirty their vocabulary using the four letter words, all one needs to do is put up a combination of special characters. You are such a %@%@%.

            The most common of all is the three dots usage. It gives that subtle literary feeling. If you are writing a story and you decide to title it “For my Love”, it will be much more appealing if you name it as “For my Love…”.    

            It is quite a paradox that for a generation that doesn't take using punctuation quite seriously, much of our daily conversations will be incomplete without them albeit the usages are in quite a different context from what Shakespeare would have ever imagined.
           
Arun Babu.

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha!!! So very true Arun. I guess bloggers will know about this best - given that we are so used to even making up words of our own in the name of free expression ... :P Good one this

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Arun. Sometimes when I am extreme happy "extra dots and exclamations and extra Ssssss' follows" but when I feel like using decent English, my sentence ends with a plain dot.
    Nice post, liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he we all do Sm :)....thank you for reading it

      Delete
  3. You had forgotten or kept it for another blog, I don't know. My reference is to the Powerful EMOTICONS.......NANDAKUMAR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha... u guessed it right uncle... I have kept it for another blog :)

      Delete