Thursday 28 September 2017

Cabs and Principles of Economics : Blog#313

Cabs and Principles of Economics


My first job after completing graduation was in Bombay. Whenever I felt I should live a little, I used to hail a cab. Taking a Cab, a decade back was a luxury. In those days, usually people preferred auto rickshaws. Cabs were reserved for trips to railway stations, airports, emergencies and weddings.

When Ola was introduced in India, I wondered if ever there will be enough people who would prefer this kind of transport. I also remember thinking that the cost of cab rides will go down only if many people opted to use Ola cabs. When that happens, the cabs will get more trips per day and thus the cost will come down and thus the price we pay for this service becomes lesser than the value we derive out of it. This enough number of people looking for a cab is called a ‘critical mass’ and the resultant increase in the number of cabs causes the price to go down and value to go up. This is called Network Externality.

These days, I travel to work and back home almost always in cabs. Often I wonder if I should hire a micro or a prime cab.  Hiring a micro cab will meet my Need of transport. But many a time, the Want takes over and I opt for a prime cab so that I can stretch my legs and travel in comfort.

The first time ever I hailed a cab, I felt elated. I was thinking how convenient life has become! The biggest relief was due to the fact that I didn’t have to negotiate the price anymore with the drivers. I was never good at it. I always used to wonder if the drivers were taking us for a ride, literally and figuratively. But then as days went by, the elation reduced. I started to look at the service with less and less enthusiasm. May be it was the Diminishing Marginal Utility kicking in. I am not saying I don’t enjoy the service anymore. I am eternally grateful to the hailing Apps for making our travel so easy and hassle free. It is just that I don’t look at it with the same sense of wonder and admiration as I used to. Also, there are days when I miss the bus commute.  

As I was missing the bus commute, God decided to answer my prayers and give me a chance. As a result, yesterday, I waited outside my office for a very long time looking for a cab. The problem with evening time especially in the place that I work is that there isn’t anyone coming in to that area during that time. At 5 pm, there are thousands of people wanting to leave that place and reach their homes. This means that there are a lot of people wanting to hail cabs(Demand) but there are very less cabs coming in(Supply) to drop people. This imbalance causes an endless wait. Add to this, a bit of rain and then one is left with no option but to take a bus.

If I have to take a bus, I need to walk half a kilometer. I thought for a while and decided to wait for the cab for some more time. If I walk, I will get a bus soon. If I don’t walk, I will get a cab but not soon. It will take time. Basically, I need to choose between time and the effort of walking. This is called Trade off.

I waited and waited and waited. At first, I thought I will wait for 15 minutes. Once I waited for 15 minutes, I thought now that I have spent 15 minutes, let me wait a bit more. It became half an hour. Once it was half an hour, I decided I can’t just let half an hour be wasted like that. Now, I will ensure that I take a cab itself. That half an hour is my Sunk Cost.

Understanding the futility of my want for a single cab at a time when there was limited number of incoming cabs and the traffic being held hostage by the rain, I decided to take the shared cab thinking that it is the best I could do to further Utilitarianism and thus contribute in my small way to reduce traffic.  


Finally, I found a shared cab and got home forty-five minutes later which left me wondering if I should revisit my Sunk cost dilemma the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment