Sunday 6 April 2014

The dreaded 10 Questions! : Blog # 170

The dreaded 10 Questions!


        Let me start off this post with a pre- emptive bail. This post might turn out to be a bit of hypocrisy. The reason being the questions that I am going to list down is what I ask for earning my brown bread and whipped butterJ. These are the thoughts which run through a recruiter’s mind when they ask you these questions!

How are you doing?
When a candidate walks in, I wish him/her. Then they ask me the question listed above. I tell them “I am good. How are you?”. Then they go “I am good too. How are you?” Then I am like “Dude, that’s what I said in the beginning. I am GOOD! This is an interview. Pay attention.” (of course in my mind!)

Are you nervous?
I usually ask this question when a candidate make the first question in to an unending loop. Most of them say that they are not nervous. But there was one person who asked me “Are you?”. I thought in my head “Why the hell would I be nervous? You are the one who needs a job!”

Tell me about yourself
Now this one is hated by both the people sitting across the table. The recruiter hates it because of 2 reasons. One, most people have no clue who they are. Two, some people just wouldn’t stop when asked this question.  Things like the pet dog’s name and your pet name aren’t exactly the things we are looking for in the answer!

What are your strengths and weaknesses?
For the love of God, everyone can’t be Amir Khan. Being a perfectionist cannot be everyone’s weakness! Yeah, you read that right. People list it as their weakness! And strength, “I am a good team player”. Ok then I say, tell me about your team. “Oh don’t ask me. There is too much of politics to the extent that even I have stopped working properly!”. There goes our candidate’s “strength”!

Where do you find yourself five years from now?
Some go on to say “I will be a Vice President in your company and in worst cases, CEO of your company!”. In my head, I am thinking; for heaven’s sake, give me a break and God save my company if you become the CEO!

Are you happy in your current job?
There are people who go on to bitch about their current company to the
extent that makes me cringe. I am thinking what is the guarantee that you won’t do the same to my company in your next interview?

You think you will be happy in your new job if you get it?
Yes, I will be extremely happy. I will be the happiest person on earth. I am thinking dude this is not an interview for Disney world!

What is your salary expectation?
This one is particularly hilarious. There are people who ask for 100%-200% hike. I have half a mind to tell them that you seriously think you will be paid more than your second level manager???

How long will you stay with my company?
“I will not leave this company, ever! This is my dream company.” Yeah right! This is the reason why you have not stayed with the last 3 companies for more than 3 years!

 When can I know the result?
Now, here I am turning the table a bit. This question is usually asked to the interviewer.  The interviewer goes “We shall get back to you in two weeks time”. The interviewee asks does that mean I am selected?. We go “The status will be informed to you in two weeks time.” But you can tell me if I am selected or not right? In some cases,I want to scream“It is considered in appropriate to tell a person that you have failed miserably in the interview and with your credentials, I don’t see you clearing any interview for a very very long time”(of course in my mind).

So the next time you go for an interview,forget about these tried and tired answers.Be yourself. Believe me, it's refreshingly relieving for both people sitting across the table :)

This post is written for Indispire                                                                                                                                                                    

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this HR. I am a silent follower of your blogs and after reading this, couldn't stop myself from commenting. As i would be starting my interviews soon.
    The questions which i dread:
    >>Why should we select you or What can you bring on the table?
    >>Your expectations from us?
    >>Recent achievements in personal/professional life and how you achieved them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sajet :).. hope this blog brings down ur nervousness if at all u have when u go for the interview :)

      Delete
  2. that was funny .. reality comes in different shapes and sizes .. good to read

    ReplyDelete
  3. A real good one. The most irritating for me is when people ask me"am I selected?" I can very well understand your pain and frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he so true Datta :)...at the end of the day, we are also people and just that :)

      Delete
  4. I seriously despise a few of these questions. Like, where do you see yourself in 5 years? LOL.. One cant even predict whats gonna happen tomorrow, let alone 5 years. Whats is my expected salary? if you aint offering dont ask how much I expect, say this is what that can be offered. Ya I know its to test what how much the candidate thinks he is worthy of. Having said all these, I have to say I'm a person looking to pursue a career in HR. All these questions are the usual questions being asked. I mean brake the paradigm. Just because recruiters have been asking this to test the candidates for the past God knows how long, it's not necessary that everyone should ask them. Like I said before, a few questions don't make any sense. All this is my suggestion. Think different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha...Reading minds in real fun...These are some expected questions and expected answers that is been captured in a wonderful manner....Probably its easy for HRs to record in the tabulation sheet in front of them :D..thats why questions remains same across or rather even if you try changing questions answers will remain to come in a flow coz people undergo so called "Interview preparations" in colleges and soft skill training. I don't believe in interviews being taken by HR alone. As long as it happens...questions will remain same and answers will prepared. In fact these answers still have fetched candidates jobs. Candidates these days feel HR round is just another final round for formality where salary negotiation salary negotiation happens. I feel they should tabulate their sheet just by observations and interventions during the interview rounds before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg i love it! That ws what i call a laughter riot!! Way to go man way to go;-);-)

    ReplyDelete