Monday 30 September 2013

Lessons from Ranchi : Blog # 139

Lessons from Ranchi


           This year, work took me to that part of our country which has come to be known as Ranchi. For someone who has not travelled beyond Bombay, this was an exciting opportunity. The fact that I will be missing Onam with family and lose out a chance to meet my kid sister was a big regret. But then, my colleague Arjun who made me undertake this travel has promised that he will make it up for this, the next time we meet ;).
Ranchi,MSD,MS Dhoni,BITS


      I landed at Ranchi Airport. The first fleeting thought was how so far away I am from home. It was a strange feeling. Add to this, I was informed that a driver called Kali Charan will be waiting for me at the airport. The name sounded straight out of a Hindi film of the 1980s which was bestowed of course on villainous characters. I stepped out of the airport and there was standing Kali charan, his appearance quite living up to his nameJ.  The only respite was that one of the senior leaders from my company was also there along with him. He was quite friendly.

            We started our journey to the educational institution. On the way, Kali charan showed us M.S. Dhoni’s home. Huge trees and a long winding road welcomed us towards the majestic institution. We retired in to our rooms and Prof. Sinha came visiting us. A very affable person, in spite of being caught up in a hectic schedule, he made sure we are having a comfortable stay.

            The next day, I met Prof.Pant. He was the sort of person who commanded respect just by his presence. A person who you start looking up to right from the moment he has exchanged pleasantries. That morning, I met Tanvir, one of my senior colleagues. Over the two days, we discussed almost everything under the sun. He exuded warmth in a way only a Sardar can 
J.  
 What came as a surprise was the lessons in work ethics that Ranchi had in store for me.

            After the process for the day was over, I went back to my room. It was well past the dining time and there was waiting Sitaram Bhaiyya with a warm smile who ensured that we were well fed. I haven’t met a more humble person in recent past. The sincerity with which he served us food was so endearing. He epitomised what we call a pleasing personality.

            By now, through the umpteen trips around the campus, KaliCharan bhaiyya and I had become friends. He was well informed about his home town and nearby places. He spoke of Dhoni with great pride. But what stood out was his sincerity towards work. Not even once did he turn a deaf ear or show some displeasure in my numerous requests to take me from one building to other inside the campus. By evening, when he was driving me to my room, I told him that I am sorry that I made him drive around so much. His answer was simple and sincere “Sir, it is my duty” and he smiled. I could tell he meant it with all his heart.

            The next day, Prof.Sinha and I was having a real late lunch. When he came to know that it was Onam that day, he said he will try to get some Kerala food. With so many things to attend to, the fact that he made an effort to tell that was in itself a big thing for me. The person who was serving us food told me “Sir, I hope you select many people because after you leave, the kind of companies that come will select only very few people. I was amazed at his sense of the larger picture.

            When the day was coming to an end, Prof. Pant was graceful enough to drop me off at the guest house. He could have told a driver to do that. A person of his stature need not have done that, but he did J.

            How can I forget the energetic bunch of students who helped us out with the process – Ronak , Roop and their team J. They were such sweet bunch of kids that Ronak was kind enough to wait and have lunch with me so that I wouldn’t have to have my lunch alone.

            That day also, I had a late dinner and Sitaram Bhaiyya was there at the dining table ensuring I addressed my appetiteJ. As I was leaving, he asked me as to what will I prefer for breakfast. I said I will leave before breakfast and that I am having an early morning flight.He said in that case, he will provide me a tea. I politely refused saying it’s quite early and I need to leave by 5 in the morning. The next day, by 430, I was served piping hot tea and even more warm was his smile J

            At the strike of 5, Kali charan Bhaiyya drove in and took me to the airport. I asked him “Don’t you get tired?”. He said “I don’t remember a time when I slept before 11 in the night and slept beyond 4in the morning. People like you are our guests and it’s my responsibility that I ensure you travel peacefully”.  There are very few instances when words leave me. That moment right there was one such.

        From then on, Ranchi means just one thing to me – Good natured, Industrious people.
Arun Babu

17 comments:

  1. A fine portrayal of a wonderful man. A taxi driver who sleeps in the taxi, who wants to help his customer in every which way. These are a rarity now. Please convey my greetings to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After Arun boarded the flight
    Kali charan bhaiyya : Pheww finally that guy left. Now that I'll get some good sleep.
    Sitaram bhaiyya : Yes Kali, even I need a good sleep.
    hehe just kidding. Its a good travelogue, but along with the people you met, you could have written about Ranchi too, like the places you have seen. - Parvathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he...they would have actually told that Parvathy :)..and abt places in Ranchi, work was so hectic tht I couldn't step out..

      Delete
  3. Wonderful article, and as a Ranchiite I would really like to thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post , Thanks for sharing such a great article

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ranchi is growing now a days. Lots of online services started in ranchi like Foodonn, you can do grocery & Vegetable shopping online from www.foodonn.com , they are working since 2013, great service with good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking for a something, lets search on localonn.com for the best local search. Search now anything Glitz Ranchi, ranchi, patna, ranchi municipal corporation, patna municipal corporation, restaurants in patna, restaurants in ranchi, Bihar & Jharkhand No. 1 Search Engine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice blog! In Ranchi, along with people, the places are also so much peaceful and beautiful where you can arrive by cab services or taxi services. We provide car rentals or taxi services in Ranchi with professional and polite drivers who will take care of your needs and requirement. They will take you on way all those places where you wanna go. We also provide local and outstation cab services in Ranchi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was very good blog about Ranchi,And Everyone it is the place where our Indian Team Captain Dhoni was born.Your blog gave me alot of information about Ranchi as i was looking for some good information.So if you also want to travel book your Bus Tickets in TicketGoose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!!..Its really useful blog. Thanks for sharing this useful information.

    Latest Bookmarking Submission Sites List - 4 SEO Help

    Latest Bhojpuri Video and Audio Songs - Bhojpuri Gallery

    Sapna Choudhary HD Dance Video

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your experience and photos with us.I am glad to read your blog. keep posting like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great and Interesting post. Wonderful blog ....Great work for shared the information about a traditions in India and, I appreciate this blog give me a knowledgeable information about traditions in India .Thank you for share beautiful and wonderful pictures and about Travel. Really this is a great post,Great place to hang up with friends and family. Nice blog and thanks for sharing your traveling experience. If you plan to go trip then the cab booking is really most important part of your trip. So here you can get the best cab for make your trip beneficial fun with Us. For more details visit :-We are provided best Car Rental Services in ranchi .

    ReplyDelete