Monday 1 July 2013

Bedtime Stories : Blog # 121

Bedtime stories


      The other day, I went to bed with a disturbed mind. Something was bothering me. When I woke up the next day morning, I could find myself in the exact same frame of mind. It was very unnerving. It had a cascading effect on the whole day.

why tell a bedtime story?            If you wake up with an upbeat mindset, chances are high that the day will go well. You step out of your home with a spring in the step and you spread a positive vibe. It is important that we go to sleep without negative or disturbing thoughts for a good sleep and for a good wake up the next day.

May be this is the reason why we were told bedtime stories in our child hood days. Whatever happened in the day would go behind the veils of a good old story and the kids go to bed with a happy mindset.If you have ever told a child a bed time story, they will patiently listen to you through the entire story. But towards the end, they also speak along with you. They know the ending is happy and may be they want to ensure it that way.

I think it is with a purpose that most of the bedtime stories have a happy ending - to instill a positive spirit that even though life turn out to be  a tiring experience at times, in the long run, things will turn out just fine.

Same is the case with our Indian films. Most of them end on a positive note; at least it used to be so. There was a time when all the Malayalam films used to end with a last frame titled ‘Shubham’.

When we grow up and become too old or lazy for stories, we take to music, films, and sitcoms. But the intent remains the same – to sprinkle the mind with dews of positivity.

            I think it is exactly this that we search for in the finer things in Life. Be it a book that we read, a piece of art that we admire or musical performances we indulge in, we are seeking for a bout of positivity amidst the realities of life.

One of my uncles once told me “I never remember all the sadness that transpired in my life. I retain only those times when a tough phase came to a happy ending. If some phase did not end happily, I try and forget them”. He remains one of the most positive people I have ever come across.  Now isn't that the Bed time story philosophy at work?
                                                                                                            
Arun Babu


8 comments:

  1. I still remember the 'Happily lived ever after' kind of stories my Achachan(Grand Father) told me..when I was a child. Now that i have learned most of the nursery rhymes I should venture in to Bedtime stories..for my son too should have fond bedtime memories .. Thanks Arun - Parvathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading this and sharing your thoughts :)..and yes, pls tell ur son some stories :)..

      p.s. Kindly share ur profile. I can't make out who this is.

      Delete
  2. There are two kinds of people..
    1. Those who take every bit of their life seriously, they make a. big analysis out of their failures and try hard not to repeat it.
    2. Those who live a free life without worrying over the result of their actions.

    The first category of people will always have a huge success rate in their materialistic life, though it is posssible that most of them will feel something missing in their lives. As for the second category, they might lead an ordinary life to a normal persons eyes but their mind will always like a calm and peaceful lake. But in these days its very difficult to live like this without being casted as lazy or irresponsible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so so true..If given a choice, I wud happily opt for the second type :)

      Delete
  3. Those good old days... :)

    ReplyDelete