Wednesday 21 November 2012

Whispering to the buffaloes: Blog # 61


Whispering to the buffaloes


One needs to keep looking for inspiration as there is nothing to lose yet a lot to gain.

Having got some precious little free time from work, I decided to check out a club functioning out of our office. It is a community which promotes and hones public speaking skills. I went there undecided as to join the club or not. I thought I would witness their activities for a couple of sessions and then take the plunge.

Then this guy, Vishnu started speaking. Incidentally, the objective given to him was to inspire the audience and inspire, he did. He used his own example as to how he transformed himself from being a village educated boy who could not speak English to a professional who could converse in as good English as any urban educated person.

I was thinking hard as to whether I should take this extra effort. Whether I should stay back for an extended time in office to be part of this club? I was getting complacent. Listening to the hardships that Vishnu underwent, I decided I had no right to not make use of the opportunity given to me in a platter.

And coming to the title of this blog, during the course of his speech, he told “To enhance my English, to get ahead in life, I tried everything from yelling at the walls to whispering to the buffaloes.” For some reason, I loved that phrase. It might be an off take from the regional usage. But the regional usage has a negative intonation to it where as he has used it positively here.

Life is a potpourri of such small teachings hidden around the corner. The inspiration that comes out of the least expected corners can influence us immensely in life.

Do whatever it takes to better yourselves, be it yelling at the walls or whispering to the buffaloesJ.

                                                                                                                        Arun Babu

2 comments:

  1. Should I try whispering to the buffaloes the next time I see them?....Though their mythological significance as a vehicle of an (in)famous god scares me, am ready to take the challenge on the face value of a new-age HR professional.....:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he..thank you for your time and interest in the blog :)..moreover for the belief in the hr professional :) ...kindly tell me ur identity..I couldn't make out from ur profile...nor have u put up a pic of urs there..

      Delete