Sunday 1 July 2012

Where is the ‘Experience’? : Blog # 36

Customer Experience?

During many of our retail marketing classes, I have heard our Professor, Kulkarni sir saying “Experience plays a very important role for the customer’s delight/despair”. I also think on the same lines. But here is one place where I found a contradiction.

It was Friday evening and I was all geared up to come home (as always ;) ). As I was to set foot outside, it started raining or pouring rather. With great difficulty I reached the suburban station of Tambaram and got in to the Chennai beach bound local (I find the announcement funny when they say “Kadalkarai” J ).Luckily it was not raining at Central. Having decided to indulge, (fresh from my salary) I went to this restaurant inside central station.

There are a minimum of 50 people almost blocking the entrance to the hotel. They are waiting for their parcel of food/sweets. I made way through them to reach the stairs leading to the dining place, which should have a sign that reads ”Make way for upward traffic” like in hill stations. The stairs are that steep and narrow!

I reached the dining place and pushing and shoving with my bag, I got in. It’s a small hall that has a seating capacity of may be 50 or so people which is filled with a 100 people, half of them standing. While you are standing, you need to make way for the people leaving after having had their food, the waiters serving food and the managers taking order. Although the tables are clean, there is chaos everywhere. The hand wash place is just two basins and one was clogged.

I stood firmly behind an elderly couple who were waiting for their coffee (which means they are about to leave). I smiled at them sweetly indirectly hinting I am waiting for them to get up and being the sweet people they were, they got up soon.

As soon as they got up, I sprang on the seat. There was this couple sitting opposite to me. Both were holding hands. Sweet J. They were lost in their own world. The waiter came thrice and asked them if they were intending to have anything else. The first two times, subtly and then almost asking them to get the hell out of there! When will they understand this is not a place to be lost among themselves and whisper sweet nothings. This is SBH People!. Have your Idli and VANISH!

So getting back to our question, it seems if the product is exceedingly good, people are willing to compromise on the experience part.
Arun Babu

No comments:

Post a Comment