Saturday 26 May 2012

What a weekend! : Blog # 27

What a weekend!

            The ecc (employee care centre) at Infosys was giving me all sorts of blues. I stayed there for two whole weeks just because of Raja sir, Gokul and Raj. I just wanted to get back home and meet my folks. The moment I came to know that Friday is off, I called up my brother in law. I got the very last seat in the bus. But the call of home was getting too loud to ignore. After the Thursday’s training session and an elaborate dinner, I took an auto to BMTC bus depot at electronic city. I reached a bit too early and the bus was to get late. Thankfully, Vivek called. We chatted for a while. All through the call, I was thinking whether or not to tell him that I am coming home. I didn’t tell him J  and anyone else at home. An elderly couple humoured me till their bus came. Then I turned to my senior Anup’s blog. Just as I was reading fourth blog on my cell (me using a cell for purposes other than calling and messaging might come as a shock to my friends, the technologically challenged person that I am  J ), the bus came.

       I took an auto from the KSRTC stand to home. The roads and lanes of which, I knew every turn. There is something about familiarity. It’s so comforting. As the auto reached home, Cleo my pet dog got up from beneath the car wondering who it is so early in the morning. She was the first one to get surprised seeing me. As soon as I opened the gate, she was up on my shoulder talking to me in a language we both understand. It’s one of a bit of sulking and a lot of love. Romila aunty (our neighbour) says she knows that either I or my sister has come home when Cleo barks in that certain way. I pressed the door bell and Akhila, my sister opened the door. She said “I had a hunch you were coming.” Amma in her usual Palakkad Malayalam exclaimed “Oh Vannuoooo J… lemme make tea”. Dad had already left for pump. I called him up and he said “Ha! what a surprise. I shall come soon for lunch J

     The whole day I lazed around and had a lot of catching up to do on FB as I could not use internet at eec! I and sis made a short trip to visit grandma and she also had a pleasant surprise J . I think the defining word this weekend is Surpriiiiise J .In the evening, I went to meet my friend from engineering. It had been some 5 months since we met last. He had some cancellation to do and we met at the railway station. We reminisced about our Bombay/Pune days, our college days and all things good and old. Then we threw a surprise visit to another friend of ours from college. He was delighted J .  We talked nonstop and had many a hearty laugh over some steaming cup of tea. I was back home by 9 and we ordered some domino’s – what a treat for the taste buds! We chatted about Bangalore, Infy , training and many other things over dinner. I also learned dad had taken a serious liking towards pizza and has been ordering home delivery quite often J.


           I woke up late and had a small chat with amma while she made the morning tea. I plunged in to the easy chair with the day’s Times leaving the TV on. I just love that time in the morning. I called up all my uncles, aunts and grandma. One of my aunts, Jaya ammayi asked “You felt suffocated there, didn’t you?”. That was exactly why I came home. She asks all the right things at the right time and I love her for that. I got a call from Vivek telling he is coming to town. We met by noon and we felt like I never went to Blore and it’s been ages since we met, all at the same time. We are updated by the second about each other, still it felt like a lot of catch up J to do . When it comes to people like him, I understand Friendship is truly a blessing. He left with a promise to come to Chennai soon.

        Back home, I and amma came to the balcony. This is our favourite place in home. We chatted for a while, amma updating me on the latest happenings in our colony. Lying on the balcony swing, I texted and called up some of my dear friends whom I hold close.I got a message from Kris and I knew exactly why I was gonna feel at home in chennai. God has been kind to me when it comes to friends :) .

        I had to attend a function at a relative’s home in Ottapalam. It had been a while since I met many of them. Although we had a tough time figuring out where the house was, It was good fun. You feel a sense of security when you meet many of your relatives, of course when it comes to the good ones. The high point was that I got to meet Raghu. He came to my relative’s home and then began the uninterrupted tete-a-tete. We went on and on about things that mattered and the trivial ones. I shared, asked, sought advice and confirmed many a things as it is always with him. (My dad says I keep on saying “Raghubhai” when I talk to him over phone. Even Jai told the same once). We went to Raghubhai’s home after that. That home has such a soothing effect. Uncle will always be there in the easy chair with a welcoming smile calling out to me as he sees me walking towards the door. It is one of those rare places where I go around like it’s my own home.   

     On the way back home, Akhila and I decided we will have food from outside. Dropping dad home, we went to our usual place but we did not order the usual things. (my friends who think I keep on ordering the same stuff, I ordered fuyong, kallummakai and schezuan style chicken! ) It had been a while with us being busy with our own colleges. We chatted about people only both of us knew and of things we grew fond of as we grew up. We talked about how much we miss our colleges and friends and how happy we were to be home. We discussed which all our cousins got married and who all are yet to take the plunge. We had a great time discussing how many of our friends took to ‘newer things’ in life and how much close we went to doing the same.

                  It is just Saturday night and I have one more day to go .Can’t wait to know what tomorrow has in store for me J .  
Arun Babu.


      

4 comments:

  1. Sathyam para, how much did Vikku, Raghu and Kris pay you to write this? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Achu, all i would say is there are some things money can't buy! :)

      Delete
  2. For everything else there's Master Card. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete